Thread: Female Pilots
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 02:38 PM
Rightup
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by apla View Post
According to a study I have read, a greater percentage of women than men prioritize time off for family/childcare and job security. In general, being an airline pilot runs counter to these desires. We all know that many days are spent out of town for training and layovers. On top of that, aviation has to be one of the worst careers in terms of job security with mass layoffs with every recession and this one by far the worst.

As far as I'm concerned, all these groups promoting airline careers have done them a huge disservice with a significant amount of them now having huge financial hits. How many of these groups targeting women told them that you could expect layoffs/career stagnation every ten years or so.

I would recommend airline flying to anyone who understands the reality of this business but is willing to accept that risk due to their desire for that kind of job. But if job stability overrides everything else...stay far away from an aviation career.

And the nice thing is, as a person with a successful career in a stable industry, you will have money to fly for fun when you want to.
A lot of the promotion is virtue signaling. You're right that most women do value job security and time for childcare than men, something an airline career doesn't really offer. This is why there aren't as many women in senior management positions due to the aversion to dedicating your life to work. Plenty of high paying secure jobs (particularly in healthcare) that you see women dominate.