View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by ScaryKite View Post
Once again more money that management is using to treat the symptoms of the pilot shortage as opposed to treating the cause!!!!! Raise the bar!
I'm not sure why anyone would want to eliminate the pilot "shortage". If there is a shortage of a comodity, the price goes up (but it may take time).

Personally, I don't believe there is a pilot shortage. Yes, the pool is drying up, but it is not gone. A sampling of regional minimums shows an average of about 500/100. The FAA says a 250 hour Comm AMEL can be an FO. 250 is significantly lower than 500 hours: it seems some companies STILL have canidates to choose from. True, there are one or two companies whose minimums ARE Comm AMEL. Those companies will need to get creative to fill the pilot slots. Already we have seen companies willing to pay signing bonuses, even lower minimums with jet transition (or whatever they are called) courses, large newhire classes with high failure rates, and now Colgan is trying the Pilot Development Program.

The results of these creative solutions?
(1) Signing bonuses were eliminated almost immidately due to contract violation and general pilot outcry
(2) Jet transition folks paid a ton of money for some ground school and a few hours in a sim
(3) large newhire classes with high failure rates: costly and sends many folks home with a busted checkride
(4) Colgan's Pilot Development Program... results unknown for the company. But for a lowtime applicant there is no out of pocket cost (other than room and board) and no risk: if the applicant does poorly, there is no busted checkride on record.

Is Colgan's solution good for the industry.... I don't know. But at least it may keep a few over eager and ill prepared people from getting a black mark that would follow them the rest of thier carreer. Who knows, the Pilot Development Program may be the beginning of ab-initio progams here in the U.S.

(For the record, I have quit debating how low is too low. The Feds say 250 is enough, and they make the rules.)