Old 04-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Bigflya
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

A great place to start is baseops.net. Go to the aviation jobs listings. BTW everyone I know in the military flight plans with this site. Tons of gouge and useful links. The job listings are by state and many reserve/guard units advertise on this site for pilots. What you are looking for are squadrons advertising their boards for UPT (undergrad pilot training). Apply to these boards and send those LOR's from as high a ranking officer as you can. Also, canvass your students, one of them may be a squadron member and an internal rec from them means alot. If you are selected I believe that this will be your program (I am Navy but this is what I saw when I went through AF Advanced Flight training). Come on orders and go to about a six week indoc school. Basically how to wear your uniform, AF formalities etc. Then report for the flight program that you are currently teaching. Then go to one of four UPT bases for about a year, six months of either T-6's or Tweets, then 6 months of T1's or T-38's. If you go to a C-130 unit then you will go to Corpus Christie to train with the Navy flying C-12's (BE-200's). Then you will go to your actual aircraft training either in Altus AFB, OK for heavies, Little Rock AFB for C-130's, Luke AFB, AZ for F-16's, or Eglin AFB, FL for F-15's. This whole process is 18-24 months plus your unit may opt to keep you on AD in your squadron until you get some line flight experience under your belt. All active duty time. Not a bad paycheck plus bennies and multi-engine flying. As a bonus, many guard/reserve units have plenty of work to make it a almost full-time gig. This will build your multi-time fast and you will not have to fly an RJ making 20k a yr. The mil pay is good but there are sacrafices for it. Remember, networking is everything and everyday some of the guys yu fly with have done this. Talk to them and start putting together your pkg.