View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 04:06 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Generally Fractional's are much less susceptible to recessions, although the one 12 years ago was the exception. That's a good reason to stick around, and also the home basing thing is a big benefit, although not all fractionals have that. There's also the flying. Most airlines are like "Groundhog Day" whereas Fractional's see a wide variety of airports. I was at NetJets over 12 years and almost always saw a new airport each tour I did.

We had a lot of unusual stuff happen. I once had to dig rocks out of a ditch at midnight to use for wheel chocks at a small airport in Virginia. In Marfa, TX we had to ride the Community Center's Handicap Van for the 27 mile trip to our hotel in Alpine, TX. No taxi, limo, or rental car available. If it hadn't been for a retired AA pilot who had a plane at the airport helping us find a ride we would have been stuck there. But then there's the time we broke in Puerto Rico and spent 3 nights over New Year's in a Ritz Carlton Resort. And a lot of challenging airports during my time there. So it's a whole lot different from the airline experience.