Thread: ATP practical
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 06:22 AM
gump1
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2018
Position: PIC
Default Sanders Aviation Jasper AL

I read the old post and thank you to the guys that responded to my request for information. I ended up going to Sanders and here are my thoughts.
1. The entire staff, from A&P to desk staff, to Instructors are all professional and friendly. I immediately felt at home. Mr Sanders is on site daily and he makes a point to interact with the students and insure that they have everything that they need.
2. The program is structured and time tested. Day one is half a day of ground followed by your first flight. They provide you all the materials you should focus on for the ride, including oral, systems, and how to set up for the flight maneuvers.
3. The Travel airs are well maintained, have modern Garmin G5 displays and G430's. The plane was much better to fly than the Seneca II I used for my Multi.
4. The Location is ideal because the airspace is wide open and you don't use hobbs time getting to and from a distant practice area or being vectored around competing traffic. I have previously trained at Addison TX and just getting in and out of the DFW airspace, or being number 20 for departure put a dent in my wallet.
5. The bunk house is a 3min walk to the airport. It and all the facilities are very clean and well stocked. I highly recommend staying there, you can't beat the price or location.
6. The checkride was completely by the book. No surprises or examiner trying to trick you or shake you up. You will fly every required maneuver, to PTS standards, and that was it. The instructors are experienced and they won't recommend you for a checkride if you are not ready so don't worry, just put the work in that is required.
7. The diversity of students was great. Never miss an opportunity to meet new people in aviation. We had people from there 20's to their 50's, some retired military, some not and they were all great people. Sanders works with Tuskegee so as an older guy, it was great to see young men and women, from the university come and go.
I'll shut up now. I just didn't want to be another "go there" post without telling you why. If I had known what I know now I would have done every rating at Sanders.

Last edited by gump1; 06-20-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo