View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Airsupport
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: CRJ

Originally Posted by WAVIT Inbound View Post
If only there was a way to somehow show total compensation. Hourly rates is truly a small piece of the entire picture. Work rules, profit sharing, etc.
Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
I think you fail to see that block pay isn't everything. While the pay scales on here are benneficial, there are things like trip/duty rigs, block or better, healthcare bennefits, 401 match, etc which are not accounted for. If they were, it would be easier to see why I would have made less in my first year at TSA than a first year FO at skywest who makes $3 per hour less than I did.

Yes, the bar needs to be raised. However I think too many people fail to realize that there are other aspects to the pay picture that play a HUGE roll.
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
iahfly,

You are attempting to deliberately mislead people...ie you are LYING. Hourly rates taken alone are meaningless, as you well know.

Nobody at mesa gets paid more than a SKW pilot, for an equivelant seat and longevity. Mesa pilots spend a lot of duty time not getting paid where SKW pilots do get paid. SKW pilots also get significant bonuses after the two-year mark. SKW pilots also get, on average, 14-16 days off. Mesa is more like 10-12 (8 for reserves).

I'm not blowing the SKW horn here, it's just that I can only speak specifically about those two companies. I'm sure your numbers are equally misleading for other carriers as well.
Originally Posted by iahflyr View Post
I totally agree about rigs. I am not sure what happened to my disclaimer at the beginning of the post (saying I know hourly rates are not everything), but I do agree that hourly rates are not everything.

However, they are definately a huge part of your total earnings.
As for rigs, it seems to me like everyone should have atleast:

4:1 trip rig
2:1 duty rig
100% deadhead pay
100% cancellation pay
Minimum day pay (3-4 hours)
Some sort of OT for 12+ hour duty or CDO's
75 hour monthly guarantee

I know some places don't have these (Compass only 75% deadhead, Mesa basically has no cancellation pay, Trans States has 70 hour reserve guarentee). So if your airline does not have these, then get them.
But still look at those rates!
Originally Posted by N2rotation View Post
This is why XJT, SKYW, etc guys can credit over 120+ hours a month while flying 90, and Mesa and Colgan blowhards will never touch that.

and yet all that can be gone when you wake up in the morning. you are right, hourly salary isn't everything. and everything else is really nothing if its not in a contract. its all good till the gravy train slows down...