View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 09:48 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Originally Posted by OOfff View Post
longshoremen don’t move between employment for a dozen different ports. They’re farmed out, but to one place with uniform standards and practices.
My Dad was a Merchant Marine from 1942 until he retired in the mid-1970's. All their work came thru the Union Hall and there was a national contract. To put it in airline terms, if Airline XYZ needs a B737 F/O, they call the National Union and make the request. It's then put out to the pilots on the union roster who can bid on it. With ships, it was done by when you got back from your last cruise. You had X number months of paid vacation, then went back on the list and started moving up to the top.

Back in the 60's my Dad was #2 on the list, the Union called the #1 guy and offered a cruise on a brand new oil tanker. He passed so my Dad grabbed it and starting packing his bags. A few hours later the union hall called back and said the #1 guy changed his mind and took the assignment. That ship set sail with a load of aviation kerosene and was never seen again

I know a national union for pilots will never happen, barring what someone said above about a collapse and nationalization of the industry. But it'd sure be nice.