View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 01:46 PM
A321neo
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
They don’t need to but it helps a tremendous amount for them to get the “bigger picture” of IFR flying.
Also since the OP intends to go to CPL/CFI there is no substitute for (additional) experience.
I’m daydreaming a little here but if I could do one more 0-CFI student I would take them on a coast to coast 50hr cross country and do all the required IFR training on the way.
Groundschool in hotels and FBO’s on the way.
Couple of 2-3 day stops for some ‘local’ cross countries and approach work.
By the time we get back student will have the 50hr PIC XC and be ready for the IR-checkride.

*Neo, point is there are many options and most of them make sense.
Which one is the best fit for you depends on a lot of factors that we don’t know.
Your learning style, how much time you can spend on this and what your local options are.
If a better option is a 2hr drive away you need to adapt a little just as an example.
Oh man! I would pay you to be me CFI and get the IR the way you said
And I understand, that’s why I want to do the PPL first just to make sure this is for me, I love a aviation and planes but I know that doesn’t mean I have what it takes or that I’m the perfect fit to be a pilot.
So rather than risking it all going full time, taking time off from work, I want to go slowly but not too slow that I will forget the things I learn.