View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 PM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by naley70b View Post
Maybe i'm missing the point about overnight bags and flight cases, but why on god's green earth would anyone spend $300 on an overnight and $200 on a flight case....sorry...just a random vent.
Because they feel like less a pilot I guess. Like those kids in flight school that had the $100 aviator etc. in class. I don't know. I spent $40 on my flight case and $50 on my bag. It's a samsonite bag that still looks new. Of course there are those that will lecture you over the subject of how it's reasonable but they are as delusional as the next. Financially speaking there's no reason to spend 2% +of your income, pre tax mind you, on two bags. Wait till you make more. Most companies will give you an allowance after your first year to purchase clothes, or items, with. At RAH we get $200. I'll probably use that when my bag breaks. I guess there's a reason why I'm debt free, putting 30% in savings, and not worried about money while most of america is just the opposite. They have no problem trying to make you see otherwise but wonder why the economy is the way it is.

So to sum it up I'm a commuter. I've never been home based. My bag cost $50 from Marshall's. It's a Samsonite travel bag. On the back of it I carry my flight case which I even put my laptop in which adds another 6 pounds. My flight case tops 30+lbs. My bag is almost a year old and still looks new. All the crap people said about how it would fall apart, how it wouldn't last more than a few months, how it would look worn and old was just that. A bunch of crap. A desperate stab to justify spending all this money while making a poor FO's wages. Any financial planner would call it a horrible investment. I toss it, pack it in the back for most legs, stuff it full, drag it everywhere, commute with it for every trip, and it's still a champ. Plus it has a 5yr warranty. Should a wheel ever break or if a handle should one day break, they'll replace the bag. Use your head. If you have to put something on credit card then you shouldn't be buying it. I see these guys witch $600 in bags and another $600+ in headsets then complain about how they don't make enough and never have money. I have to sit there and try not to ask them what the hell they were planning on happening.

Last edited by ToiletDuck; 01-26-2008 at 11:05 PM.