Thread: Non Rev
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 09:31 PM
flensr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by texaspilot76 View Post
Thanks, I’m not real familiar with how SW works.
In a nutshell...

No assigned seats, so everyone boards per their boarding number. That means whoever boards first gets their choice of seats. We split the groups into A and B. If you fly a lot, you pretty much automatically get an "A-list" boarding number as a frequent flyer perk. But you can also pay for boarding preference which puts you near the front of the A boarding group. Every else is on the B list, and those numbers are assigned based on when you checked in. Check-in starts 24 hrs prior, so whoever clicks fastest gets a better boarding position and therefore more seat choices.

Thing is, anyone on the A list either "earned" that position by flying with us a lot, or they paid extra money for the boarding position. So as a matter of good business practice, you don't annoy the A list pax any more than you have to. A dedicated A list pax will get coupons for free drinks (worthless now) and somewhat less worthless coupons they can hand to any SWA employee that gave them exceptional service, that can be turned in for SWA employee perk points.

Story time for context... A customer service "save" I had a few months ago, our A-1 pax (first on the plane after pre-board) was in and settled, but another pax turned her carryon sideways so the overhead baggage compartment door wouldn't close. So not realizing she was A-1, an FA was going to pull her bag and gate check it. Whoops. I was in uniform commuting home from a trip and saw the whole thing and heard her mutter "A-1 boarding and they're gate checking my bag?" So I put on my superman cape, jumped up and re-arranged a few things to make SURE our A-1 pax didn't have to gate check her bag. She probably flies more than I do, no reason why she needs to gate check her only bag FFS. Anyhow, she appreciated the effort and I got a few employee perk points for simply noticing that we weren't taking good enough care of an A-list pax and fixing it so she didn't have to waste any time at baggage claim that day.

What all that means is that while JS non-rev can pre-board without ****ing anyone off, please don't cut into line in the middle of the A list boarding because those people paid extra for those boarding positions and it's probably going to get someone upset and maybe cause a complaint that has to be followed up on. If you miss pre-board, a reasonable plan is to hop in line between A and B lists.

Or if you don't care, just walk up and try to board whenever you like... Seen that too, success/fail depends entirely on gate agent reaction to how you present yourself. Extra courtesy is usually extended to non-rev wearing full company uniforms as long as they're not being disrespectful, but some gate agents don't care.