View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 09:49 AM
Gone Flying
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: UNA

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
As with every system(generally)...some are content to be on welfare, some are satisfied with average and some find ways to "capitalize" to maximize(or maybe it's maximize to capitalize) True maximization involves QOL and pay and there is an appropriate "Laffer curve". Defining it is up to the individual.

In these austere past 4 months, I have averaged 105 hrs/month. Worked 3 total days, no GS., no sick leave. With swap with the pot/icrew swap board it is still possible to blow way through ALV + 15. I predicated my #'s on top pay rate plus DC and 90 hrs/month.

Some will choose to maximize....others are content with the minimum. Last year my avg days worked was 16 (no GS) and my avg hours per month greatly exceeded 90 hr. (Actually, that's true for every year over the past 10 multiple bases and equipment) Life is about choices. Some things are unattainable, others are doable if one chooses to.

Personally, I advocated for a comprehensive plan that reigned in the swap with pot/ icrew swap board, an ALV reduction and a MOAD adjustment in return for a FPL, and mitigation of the backward movement on the MOAD, The adjustments would combine to "economically force" more takers of the ER package. The synergy would attemt to spread the misery. By not doing it comprehensively, the results will not be maximized IMO.

Also, as I have posted, we are a seniority based system. Any "gives" will be the will of the constituants(memrat). Every month that goes by, more training is accomplished making it tougher to undo the MOAD and UNA.

OBTW....even using your numbers, you are off by 50%. The ER is based on 50 hrs with a DC as opposed to res guarantee of 72 hrs with DC( the 58 hours in the "package has no DC). So 22 hours more minimum at roughly $410 hour is $9,000 month more minimum.
not terribly familiar with how to work the system like you described, I am still new and assumed almost everyone right now was stuck around 72-75 hours. yep did not factor in 401K into the numbers but figured frozen pensions and PBGC would offset the 401K (plus the small $ saved by having premium free healthcare). If you personally could do 16k/ month more by staying go for it and I would probably stay too. I was working on the assumption over the next few years we would see lines constructed to ALV/TLV floors with not much room to add.