View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 04:02 AM
H60 guy
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: H-60 & SEL aircraft...both seats

bunk-

Sounds like your timing has worked out well. I am at the 10-year mark and I know guys who have skated through their career and hit all the right assignments and I know guys who have been deployed over three years. It is all about the timing.

I am very hesitant to take advice from others at this point in my career because very few generations (if any?) are in the same situation. I am not talking casualties or dedication or any of the other stuff, I am talking specifically deployment time. As a service member you could of very easily spent 20-years...anywhere from 1975 to 2001 and never deploy a day in your life. Exceptions...Special Operations, Panama, Grenanda, and Desert Storm. Granted you may have done the occassional 1-year unaccompanied or TDY trip, but no where near the amount we are deploying. I am an Army guy and have deployed over 26 months in the last 5-year and I am doing good. In my future I have at least another 3 out of the next 6 years and potentially a 15-month rotation in there. Retirees who constantly beat the "never get out past ten or your experience is priceless.." drum have never been faced with the same situation as us.

When I wake up at 65 I would much rather say.."I wish I had that military retirement" and not "I wish I would have spent more time with my children"

With our AAA type personalities we will always provide for our families and most likely offset any retirement through hard work.