View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
northernpilot
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Default Regional's and canada

Hi everyone, I've been reading posts here for about a year but this is the first time I've needed some help.
Three and a half years ago I acted like an idiot and made a huge mistake by driving home drunk after a night out with friends. That night I got a DUI. I have no excuses for my actions that night and am thankful everyday that no one got hurt. I thought I was invulnerable and learned an important lesson that if I act like and idiot I will hurt myself and possibly others. I have never driven a car after having anything to drink again. I was hired by my first flight school a year ago in Minnesota and started working. Mesaba was hiring like crazy so I put my application in. This is when I learned that I could not travel to Canada. I applied for a temporary resident permit which would allow me to travel to Canada but was denied (being the DUI was too recent.) For those of you who do not know how the regulations work, after a DUI and the probationary period (for me 1.5 years) your not allowed into the country for five years (so for me, march 2011. I got the DUI Sept. 11 2004) Now I’ve gotten stuck in a situation. I'm willing to work anywhere but I need to know, which regional will allow me to interview for a job. I know Pinnacle, Mesaba, Skywest, Compass and American Eagle are out of the question. I've looked at dozens of companies’ websites but very few ever bring it up. Is this a huge deal breaker? I've got 700 hrs, 50 multi, and I’m the chief flight instructor at my current school (its part 61, so it’s a title only). I am planning to start applying in April. I appreciate any help you can give me.
-northern pilot