Thread: Hooyah!
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 07:54 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post

I know it’s easy to criticize and that the crew mostly was ashore and most of the yard dogs these days are civilian, but for an alleged warship to take this much damage without even being in a battle just seems wrong. They may have to write her off...
I've taken ships into the yards. It's amazing how sloppy the civilians (especially .gov shipyard civilians) can be compared to USN sailors, back in the day it seemed like they partied all night, came straight to work, and tried to find a quiet corner to sleep it off in. If they couldn't do that, speed would help get them through the shift. I saw multiple fires, leaks, and flooding. Including one guy who opened up a live 3000 psi hyd system because he was too lazy to do the tag out paperwork... a very large hyd system, with massive accumulator capacity. He was lucky the engine room didn't explode when he aerosol-ed a few hundred gallons. They had to bring in a special crew and take a couple weeks to wipe it up in all the nooks and crannies.

Midnight shift was the worst.

There may be a systemic problem, but don't blame the crew just yet. Their role is often hall monitor, and the civilians don't want to be monitored.