View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 07:09 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by GeeWizDriver View Post
Actually, my greatest concern right now is that my employer will bow to the mob again and require vaccination just as they required a mandatory Covid test recently.

A swab up the nose to mollify customers is one thing. Injecting an unproven and minimally tested substance into your body in something else entirely.
Plan on it. You don't have to get a vaccine.

But businesses, organizations, schools, and employers don't have to let you in their facility either.

But right now they seem on track to complete all normal regulatory testing of any vaccine. They can shortcut financing, red tape, and manufacturing, but it does not appear that anyone has any appetite to deploy a vaccine before phase III trails are complete. That might have been different if the bug had a fatality rate of 30% and a billion people caught it.

Phase IV is done after deployment and consists of surveillance of end users, just in case anything pops up. So you could consider early users of any vaccine or pharma to be part of the evaluation process. I'm still willing to go to work, which carries some slight but non-zero risk, so personally I'm willing to take a new vaccine which will carry lower risk than covid.

Biology is complex, so a new vaccine *might possibly* have unexpected side effects... but there's no particular reason to think it will either. Your airplane might crash too, but if you had reason to suspect a problem you'd just go back to the gate.

Last edited by rickair7777; 07-22-2020 at 07:23 AM.