View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 07:16 AM
AirplanesRkewl
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2019

Originally Posted by DashAviator View Post
I am a little confused by your comment. What were your concerns regarding the LOA and the Alaska flying? And what do you expect the union to "do for the pilot group"?

To be clear, the Alaska flying was going to happen whether we wanted it or not. Alaska Air Group owns the planes and has total control over our flying and markets. Our union basically was able to implement a furlough mitigation program in exchange for some of the company's conditions on the Alaska flying (the "base within a base" concept and pilot experience requirements). Having SOME plan for reducing furloughs is a "win" in my book.

I have been here through 9/11. the 2009-2011 recession, and the current pandemic. Here's how the COMPANY and the UNION have responded to those previous downturns:

9/11: "You're furloughed! Here's the phone number for the unemployment office. Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

2009-2011: "You're furloughed! Here's the web site address for the unemployment office. Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

2020: The company and the union put together a furlough mitigation program.

Finally, a union is only as strong as the pilot group. It's easy to complain about "The Union" (and, trust me, I've done plenty of it), but we all need to do our part. The furlough mitigation LOA passed with only about 60% of our pilot group taking the time to vote. Why wasn't this 100%? If you don't like what the union is doing, then get involved... make it work for you.
The company couldn't even follow the loa for incentive lines and the loa has the same wording for furlough protection. They could give one person il and one person leave and it would be cba compliant like they did with the incentive line loa. Luckily I think enough people will take leaves to avoid involuntary furloughs. Union could have fought for min credit or some sort of guarantee for the garbage Alaska flying. Will be interesting to see how much of it goes to OO since no one wants to do it. They should make the people that voted yes do the flying