View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 03:19 PM
tallpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: A320 FO

Originally Posted by itsmytime View Post
the reason for my optimism is how quickly the numbers rebounded in June, and the first week of July until the corona numbers started climbing again. That’s proof to me, that passengers will come back, and quickly.

also, due to early outs, Alaska, and southwest aren’t furloughing. Delta probably won’t either. Now I know, that is only 3 airlines, but every seniority list was supposed to be gutted on oct. 1. There is some positivity out there, that this may not be as devastating to pilot careers as once thought.
I don't know. The airlines were forced by CARES to fly more routes than they wanted to. So they lowered fares; sometimes to ridiculous levels. If that rebound was simply leisure travelers responding to rock bottom fares it doesn't mean much.

I agree there is some good news out there but a few airlines not furloughing isn't going to do much for those of us headed to the unemployment line. There are still going to be way too many pilots chasing way too few jobs. That fact alone plays against everyone's career expectations because it eliminates negotiating leverage and once the concessions start it puts pattern bargaining in a downward spiral.

Hopefully 90% of us are making $150+ / flight hour in a couple years. I highly doubt it though. Also, not furloughing on Oct 1 doesn't mean there won't be a second wave come January after a dismal fall and weak holiday peak.

Last edited by tallpilot; 07-25-2020 at 03:37 PM.