View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Just got back from 4 hours of skiing and wake boarding. I have a 2018 Yamaha 242 LS E series boat and really love it. Yamaha Jet Boats are not high end boats - more middle of the road, but as far as value for your dollar they are tough to beat. Tons of storage, great acceleration, solid audio and navigation, but you will be limited to about 50 MPH top end. The fastest I ever "need" to go is 34 MPH for slalom water-skiing and a lot slower for other water sports.

Pros of Jet Boats in general:
No propeller so its very safe for water sports and swimming/socializing at the back end of the boat.
Great shallow water capability.
Simplicity. No gearbox, just a straight shaft coming out of the engine driving the impellers.

Cons of Jet boats:
Very poor low speed handling, especially around the dock. Reverse is pretty much a request - if your lucky it will think about slowly backing up. There are a few really popular aftermarket products that can help somewhat in this regard but it still a challenge in strong currents and windy conditions.
Jet boats are pretty loud at cruising speeds.
You can "suck" up sea weed and even a tow rope if you are not careful - pretty much the same risks with a prop boat.

The 242 is a great all around boat but will never be as good as a dedicated ski boat for water-skiing or a wake boat for wake surfing. You can wake surf, wake board and water ski on it, but like I said - not as good as a specialized boat at any one sport.

This website is invaluable for jet boat knowledge and has some really knowledgeable super smart folks posting about everything you could ever want to know: https://jetboaters.net/

It is currently a sellers market and many dealers are sold out.

Good Luck - feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Scoop