View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 05:25 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by idlethrust View Post
I’m gonna say something that will tick off a bunch of people and I know I’m gonna get a lot of backlash for it but here goes. First of all I don’t want to see anyone loose their job , especially in these crazy times . However ,some of these regionals need to go away. There may very well be one or two more that don’t make it so dont be surprised if it happens.
Over the past few years whenever xyz airlines wanted to expand domestically they went to abc regional to fly rjs from point a to b instead of expanding within mainline. This only creates more jobs at the regional level and not at mainline, thus further delaying most pilots time at the regionals .
Now you have people flying from dc to dfw , Ord to ny and two or three hour trips on with rjs instead of mainline aircraft.This was never the intended purpose of regionals.
No one seen this pandemic coming, no way no how, but it is doing something that ironically needed to be done and that is clean up this industry and rid itself of a lot of rjs and regional outfits .
When this is over and abc airlines want to expand domestically, they will look internally first instead of depending on rj lift , therefore creating more jobs for us down the road . It will sting for awhile for all of us but for those who stick it out for a few years more I think the opportunities will once again be plentiful one day .Im sorry for those who have lost their job and for those who willl in the coming months , but in a funny round about way the regional model needed to cannablize itself so that we may all have a better chance at the heavy metal down the road .
Rant over ——😐😐😐
The sad thing is that this crisis will more likely be the end of mainline narrowbody flying, than regionals. This will get so much worse before there is any recovery, every single legacy will go through Chapter 11, and on the other side, there will be regionals flying Airbii.

Thanks for selling out on scope (not you personally, but for the senior guys who did it).