View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Gunter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by jagplt View Post
So as I understand what's being said here.. In order for a ND to be returned to the front seat he must first check out as an S/O? Doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it keeps the guys who are "injured", say a shoulder or something.. from playing the system and jumping back into a front seat over those who have played the game as intended...
I think you just have to draw the line somewhere. Since we are already adequately staffed in the wide CA seats and there are trainees in the pipeline, putting guys back into the CA is a little more expensive than sending them thru SO school with the intent of pulling them off the line shortly after IOE. There is precedent with junior guys going to a school and getting pulled for an upgrade during or immediately after.

Benefits of sending guys thru SO school with the anticipation of getting CA in bid 08-01

-- What if the class one medical doesn't work out?
-- What if the bid is canceled or awards delayed? FDX always like to have guys in que to go to training so they can change the class date to suit company actual staffing needs. As opposed to the long range projections (WAGs) provided by long bid cycles.
-- Cheaper to adequately staff CA seat and overstaff SO seat, even if only temporarily
-- Some may choose to retire