View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Lindy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Default I think the FAA has given their opinion (to date)....

Question: May a person who was in the employment of an air carrier when he/she attained 60 years of age before December 13, 2007, but who was not conducting part 121 operations for the carrier as a required flight deck crew member, continue employment with the air carrier?

Answer: Yes. However, under 49 U.S.C., § 44729(e)(1)(B), that person must be treated by the carrier as a “newly hired pilot...without credit for prior seniority or longevity for benefits or other terms related to length of service prior to the date of rehire under any labor agreement or employment policies of the air carrier.”

This is a quote from the www.faa.gov website. I believe flying Part 61 flights does NOT meet the standard ennunciated by the FAA.

As for being sick/out on medical, I think someone should send this question to the FAA. Apparently they haven't put this specific question in their Q & A, maybe if enough ask they just might??

Specifically, the question to be asked: If a pilot turned age 60 prior to December 13, 2007, and at that time were listed as sick and/or out on medical, are they considered "new hires" or can said pilot return into their previous position?