View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 03:09 PM
Huell
777 - ret

Joined APC: Apr 2020
Position: Waco CG-4 center seat

Originally Posted by stevecv View Post
For me personally I would take absolutely no pleasure in reporting this to the FSDO, which is why I wanted this forums input on the matter. Writing a letter seems like a great idea just to know what was up. Again, I don't want to put somebody's cert. at stake, especially in these times. Thanks a bunch for the replies!
I was a FASTeam represenative for a number of years. I made quite a few calls to pilots who were reported of low flying or ostentatious displays ... I would call the pilot and tell them that I had received a call that someone was concerned about them and that I was concerned about their safety ... A soft start so to speak. If the guy had a good attitude I would file my de-identified report and the world continued to turn. Bad attitude I would turn it over to the head of the FASTeam at the FSDO. They would use the same soft start approach. None of this applies to repeat offenders.

If you call the FAA I suggest you talk to the FASTeam guy ... You can probably get a reassurance that they will talk to the guy without a violation. Most guys will do this unless the pilot has a thick file. Then give him the details.

I have seen this make a difference.

But then others ... Not so much.