View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 07:46 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

These days the FSDO doesn't hammer people unless they tell the inspector to go pound sand. That means if the person is willing to fix said deviation and agree to a corrective action, no certificate action is taken. This is the required approach. It generally takes some fairly egregious acts these days to result in certificate action and actual enforcement cases, which is good, it reduces workload and allows for a much better way to address issues. That all said, I have to wonder about the safety culture that some people seem to be promoting: Anything is ok as long as you can get away with it. The FSDO inspector will investigate it to determine if there is any actual violation/deviation, such as flying low in the vicinity of the airport for the purpose of takeoff/landing is totally appropriate and the actual altitude is what matters, very hard to eyeball for anyone. In this case, there is at least more to go on than the usual "someone flew low over my house", which is akin to "someone just drove really fast through my neighborhood". There are ATC pilot deviations sent to the FSDO for investigation that result in nothing because a violation is not substantiated.