Thread: Wet Sock Smell
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 05:08 PM
CAirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

For the life of me I will NEVER EVER EVER understand why the F they went back into the aircraft for the 3rd run up. That is just insane to me.

The report talks about how the 2nd run up was the strongest and worst fume event both crewmembers had ever experienced.

Both of them ran off the airplane and into the jet bridge to get fresh air. Both were experiencing symptoms in the jet bridge and the CA had fallen down in the jet bridge.

A mechanic comes up and is horrified to see “OMG there is a haze in here” of mist/vapors in the aircraft and cabin. Despite all of this, both crew-members reenter the cabin and do the 3rd run up.

It was the 3rd and final run up that ended this guys career. The CA experienced tremors, burning/watering eyes, shortness of breath, numbness in the right side of some extremities and a host of other awfulness.

I hate to MMQB, but this is just insane to me. I could understand if the first 2 run ups didn’t produce any kind of symptoms, then sure you don’t think anything of it and get it done, but you and your FO both ran off the airplane because you experienced numerous symptoms and were feeling unwell.