Gets Weekends Off
pangolin
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2017
  • Position
    CRJ9 CA
Quote: no I’m not. I honestly get the feeling, I remember my first day as an airline pilot. I was so excited I’d fly that plane anywhere they wanted. We are all that way. Then you get a little experience and more knowledgeable about the industry and realize that we need MORE scope, less RJ flying. It’s shooting yourselves in the foot to fly EOW RJ’s. That’s less mainline flying, less need for YOU at a mainline. Take a step back and look at the big picture. I’m not saying these things to spite you guys, and yes RAH already does it, but every time a regional agrees to fly for cheaper, fly farther, agree to crappier contracts, it hurts everyone... including mainline. We are all just bottom dollar contractors. Mainline management laughs all the way to the bank with the regionals.

the next big problem is we all share the same union who plays each other against one another. One Union can’t represent 14 different companies that are direct competitors. Plus union reps want to go to a mainline too. Therefore they usually don’t stick around at a regional long enough to make a difference. It’s a revolving door at the union building as much as it is at the training building.
I am not saying you are wrong. But you could consider the regionals as something akin to minor league baseball. Smaller venues still a great game. Eventually move up to the majors and the big money for more responsibility.

That said, the minors need to stay in the minor league stadiums and not supplant the majors. So another way to handle scope would be to restrict the destinations and length of leg, and the over water flying of the regionals. Make them truly regionals. A 3.5 hour flight with a full boat in an RJ is NOT a regional flight. Let them fly to airports the larger aircraft cannot. Shorter, smaller runways etc. Except a 737 and an rj have virtually the same runway requirements.