Thread: C5 expanding?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 07:07 AM
StickPig
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by ReadOnly7 View Post
high turnover at the regional level is a good thing. Keeps labor costs low. Regionals won’t hesitate to hire furloughed major pilots. LCCs and ACMI, however......will.
In a normal economy with demand high, I’d tend to agree. However, as with most companies one of the most expensive expenditures is turnover. It generally costs more to train a replacement, given the actual investment in training and the time/work lost by the departing employee. Especially true in our game when in takes three months and lost of override pay to train someone new, regardless of experience level. I’d have to side with hiring the CFI in this case, given the probability of the duration of their employment. Sure, there’s a chance you may have a few needing additional sims, but I’ve been through two regionals now and had new jet guys/gals/CFI’s who were hot with the stick and had no problems. IOE is where most people have issues needing extra days/trips. But the money on average spent to train a new to 121 pilot potentially needing extra time in the airplane is far less that to hire a replacement when the recalled mainline pilot jumps ship back to their glory ride.