View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 09:46 AM
firefighterplt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by Meep View Post
There are a few pilots who have a decent social media following. But, they never wear their wings nor any company items, aren’t on duty, and seem professional.

No offense to this guy, but seeing a pilot dancing around the airport while on duty in uniform doesn’t exactly instill confidence from the flying public. Hopefully he and other younger pilots who have grown up with social media being a part of their lives learn from these mistakes.
Agreed. The current crop of new firefighters that we’ve had just doesn’t get it. We have a strict social media policy, yet they just can’t help themselves. Guys taking selfies for the ‘gram in the rig on the way to jobs, even one guy snapping a selfie inside the building at a working fire—the same fire that two of his brothers were injured at, and transported to the hospital. Absolutely ridiculous. Formal reprimands just encourage them to get better at hiding their photography habit. Lately, anyone caught with a phone out in my rig is the automatic hydrant man—enjoy watching your buddies make the push while you’re down the street hooking up.

Do people really have such a desperate need for external validation? I don’t understand it.

Do the job, be professional, follow the rules. Want to take a photo or video? Get it cleared/approved first. It isn’t a tough concept. Sounds like this guy couldn’t control his own urges, and that’s not someone I want flying my family around.