View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 05:10 PM
UAL97
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
American warned us (read Congress) today that they would have to cancel service to 30 smaller cities if something isn’t done. Expect this type of drip drip info from various industry carriers for the next two weeks until Congress is back in session.

in my previous life, I did some work with Hill folks, and I’d speculate this is major posturing before those final pre election bills are passed. The Bill has been crafted and most like agreed upon. But, both sides have to maneuver for optics to appease donors and ensure the right folks vote the right way to hold their seats.

Likely, actual furlough notices (not WARN letters) will be delivered. This will keep the heat on for members to do something. Then, magically, just in the nick of time, at the last possible moment, an agreement will be “reached”. Much stress until then. But I’d say a better than 50% chance those furlough notices will be postponed or even cancelled until the next ones go out 120 days later.

welcome to the swamp.
It's an election year. There is a very very high chance that cares is eventually extended, especially since it already has backing from congress and the president. That may buy us enough time to see the industry rebound fairly significantly, and thus, much lower furlough numbers come next spring.

Last edited by UAL97; 08-14-2020 at 05:21 PM.