Old 08-18-2020, 03:49 AM
VisionWings
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2019

Different routes
141 is a structured flight school- typically this is with a degree program. So add money for the degree. Can be 15k for an associates or 40-80k for a bachelor degree. Can reduce total hours from 1500 hours for an atp to a 1000 hour restricted atp. Major typically require a bachelors degree.

91 route
can be done part time through at your own pace, or fast paced.
You typically can’t find a loan. Excluding larger 91 schools like ATP. Also requires the full 1500 hours before you’re eligible for an airline operation excluding 1200 hours which allows you to find a cargo position. At this current point in time there are so many unemployed pilots it’s basically not an option though.

costs
this really is impossible to say. You should contact local flight schools or look into programs that sound appealing or an acquaintance has been through.

In the north east prices range from 130$/ flight hour to 225$/ flight hour for a single engine aircraft. And typically you pay 65$/flight hour for an instructor. So expect 290$/hr to 130$/flight hour. Ranging from 200-300 flight hours. Fees are a check ride which means you’ll pay for a plane rental and pay to take a flight test which cost around 800$ for the test and about 2-5 hours for flight test. Some places also will charge a fee just for the rental slot. Meaning even if you didn’t fly and you scheduled the plane for 2 hours they’ll charge you 1 hour. 135$ gone just because you couldn’t make the flight. Or the weather was too bleak for your expertise.

if you can’t tell the only real way to do this is one determining do I want to do this because I want to. Or am I doing it for the wrong reasons? Like the money.

you will not find accurate information on this forum you’ll only find it from a local FBO and talking to pilots in that FBO.

another caution. The average flight time is 3 hours per week with good weather. Which means you have 6 flyable months in the north east so first year expect 77-100 hours in your first year if you go 91 and that same for the second year. Then year three you can if you’ve obtained the ratings be a CFI. And you should be at 1500 in 3-4 years and 1000 hours in 3 years.

good luck!

hidden costs