Old 08-18-2020, 06:20 AM
TiredSoul
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

* Take your time and don’t rush
* Do not pay large amounts up front
* Pay your way, avoid loans like the plague.

A loan makes sense only when you need to get done like right now this very minute because you might miss an opportunity to catch the wave.
Thats not the case right now.
Even though (or maybe because) I’ve been Chief Flight instructor 141 I would recommend you do your training Part 61.
Much more flexibility in switching lessons around when the weather doesn’t cooperate or if you reach a training plateau.
Also let’s say you get the opportunity to fly a much cheaper airplane outside of the school for time building you can’t do that if you’re enrolled in a Part 141 course of training as that airplane is not on the ‘approved’ aircraft list.
Under 141 you need to use the syllabus that the school is approved to use and an instructor the school is authorized to use and aircraft the school has in their 141 certificate.

Part 61 allows much more flexibility in combining lessons/flights and even training programs.
For instance I’ve combined Commercial SEL with Initial CFI with 5-6 students.
Saves about 15-20 hrs dual.
There are many more combos and tricks of the trade that will save you a bundle if you can find a creative instructor willing to work with you.
Find a smallish flightschool that is happy with a 0-CFI student and willing to accommodate.
Be an airport bum and start networking on day one;
Hey can I help you wash your plane ?
Hey need a hand with your hangar door there?
People will remember faces and start offering you airplane rides that turn into time building trips where you only pay for gas.
You’re in this for the long haul (hopefully literally one day) so better learn to enjoy the journey.