Thread: The 1500/1000 Hour CFI

Hedley , 08-19-2020 05:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off
Hedley
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Aug 2020
Quote: The writing on the wall is clear. Every job I was qualified for prior to about 15 March is now hiring guys that would have been considered over-qualified. Most places are just not hiring at all. Very few are flight training and even fewer want trips to the Canyon. Skydiving is something people do with extra money- and no one is spending right now. Some 9f the guys lucky enough to get hired have been furloughed by shutdowns and others are planning for the inevitable that is coming on Oct 1. I get it.

I am not looking at what I am doing as quitting. I am at the bottom of the career ladder in this field. I am going to step off of the ladder for a bit. When there is a rung to step on to start climbing again I will return, but for now I have someplace else to go where I can make a living and can afford to wait this one out.

Some of the older guys in here have mentioned getting a master's degree while we can't fly. What does holding a master's degree do in the aviation world? What should it be in? I am fortunate enough to have free tuition for some degree programs and I am considering doing it, but I enjoy the extra time I am getting with my family right now. I am just trying to do the cost/benefit analysis of a masters degree on top of the two Bachelors degrees I already have. All while homeschooling one kid and being daddy daycare for the other one when my wife is at work.
The guy who was in charge of hiring at United once told me that having a masters degree doesn’t really add that many points to you application. An associates degree has a couple of points, a bachelors has big points, and the masters just adds a few more. He didn’t think that the few points that it could add was worth the effort. A graduate degree could be a tremendous help outside of aviation though. Stepping away and doing something else that could be continued after aviation picks up could be a big win for you in the long run. Also, if your wife has a good job, don’t underestimate the value of having a parent at home taking care of the kids instead of them spending much of their childhood at daycare. The kids will be better off.