Old 08-24-2020, 03:05 AM
StewBlu
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
You mean like a red letter or perhaps a gold star?

If you get a vaccine then you don't need to worry whether or not I got the vaccine. You're the one protected already.
You still don't get it.

For the purposes of spending time on an online forum, most on here speaking to pro-vaccine points aren't necessarily concerned with their personal wellbeing, but speaking to public health as a whole.

While your above statement is mostly correct, it misses the point we're trying to make. We're advocating for vaccines because millions of individuals' "personal" decisions affect others in one way or another. You'd still be correct for most other Schmos out there. However, for a large enough group of people (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/should-not-vacc.html) they can't get vaccinated. That's who all of this is about. Them and the next generation so that if everyone gets on board that generation will have one less virus to worry about.

When someone makes a choice to not get vaccinated and they should they are putting others at risk. Your choice, like smoking a cigarette in public, affects others. Please take a moment to read about some of the individuals, who at no fault of their own most of the time have a condition which makes it dangerous for them to be vaccinated. Similar to giving blood, your small risk could directly benefit others.

I try to ask myself "Self, if everyone else made the choice I'm about to make, how would the world be? Better or worse?" This litmus test works for parking in a handicapped parking space and for getting vaccinations. My motivation for getting vaccinated is 50/50 for self-interest and public health.