View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 05:26 PM
SitBackRelax
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: A320, left

Originally Posted by Sike

1. How is it working for a non-union airline? pros cons?

I personally think it's fantastic to be at a place where we don't need one because no one is trying to exploit us. The sense of all being on the same team is one of the huge selling points of being here. As I'm sure you've gathered from reading other threads, that has diminished some over the last year or two, but I'm still chalking that up to growing pains.

2. What kind of quality of life do you see with schedules, days off, etc.?

Works for me. I'm a minimum schedule kind of guy and I'm able to commute and get 16-17 days off on average. Conversely, if I want to make some good money, I can pick up trips and do very well. Nice to have the choice.

3. I know it's not currently in the plan, but do you think A321s 330s etc. are a possibility maybe 10 years down the road?

All kinds of rumors. Wouldn't surprise me though. I've even heard rumors about the 787. It's all well down the road to be sure -- hard to look too far ahead when the industry's in shambles/upheaval, but Central/South America is where Id' guess we'd be once we get seriously into international flying.

4. What does Neeleman think about further international flying.. maybe Central or South America? Is he looking to stay strictly domestic with just a few exceptions permanently?

See above.

5. How are pay raises negotiated?

They're not. Raises seem to be driven by economics vice collective bargaining or grumbling in the ranks. If I become unhappy with my pay then I'll sweat this, but frankly I think we're fairly compensated at the moment. *shielding my face from flying fruit and rotten vegetables*

6. Do most pilots help clean the airplanes?

Yes. Seems really odd to me that this is a sticking point for people looking in from the outside. It really is no big deal. Takes 5 minutes tops and adds to the "team" feel. If you have other things to do (mx write-ups, getting food for the crew, etc.) then you don't, but the very few who don't "out of principle" are seen to be making some sort of political statement which comes across as "I'm better than you." Whatever -- total non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

7. Are you happy?

Big time. There are things that could be better, just like anywhere, but input to change them seems to be well-received, even if change occurs slowly. I'd be way more concerned if they made knee-jerk changes to everything everyone suggested to them. We are most certainly in a challenging phase, but I definitely don't buy into this idea that anyone's trying to screw anyone. There's a little negativity that wasn't there before and that drags you down at times, but for the most part people still want to be there and believe in the place and that makes a huge difference.

8. Is the airbus a boring airplane with its extreme level of automation?

It's definitely more about managing computers than stick-and-rudder much of the time, but I think the 'bus rules. Great roomy cockpit, lots of cool little details, and it definitely is an art to make it do exactly what you want.

9. Want to write me a letter of recommendation? MUAHAHA just kidding.
*snicker snicker*
just another guy's opinion...