View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 01:59 PM
WhiskeyDelta
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Here and there

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
An experienced airline manager says that essentially the entire industry should enter Ch.11 en masse and shed any and all obligations, including employees and labor contracts.

Points out that demand/revenue are down 75% and 85% respectively, but doesn't mention that it's bound to pick back up, and soon. The only real variable is how much of demand will return by mid 2021. 50% => lots of hurt, 70% => limited short-term hurt, 80% => most will still have jobs, the rest will be back within a couple years.

Also doesn't point out that IF demand stays at 25%, the global economy will be permanently hosed... governments need to restore economies, and air travel (and other travel industry segments) will follow along with that. Everybody I talk to has cabin fever, nobody is saying "gee I never realized how great it was to stay locked in my house all the time, I'll sure never travel again".

This guy is completely discounting the impact of a likely vaccine, essentially assuming no further economic recovery for the foreseeable future. Maybe somebody is paying him to spread doom and gloom and encourage congress to hand out more assistance?

He also doesn’t mention the industry went into this at the height of the most profitable time in its history. I’m not saying everyone will survive, but we started off in way better shape as an industry than in times past.