View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 12:09 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by Ace66 View Post
Not only would I, but I have. That looks like hoarfrost which is water vapor that immediately condenses to solids, skipping the liquid phase. Strictly speaking, hoarfrost is deposited on the surface of the wing but is not adhering to it unlike rime ice. Also, hoarfrost roughness is very slight - much less rough that the peeling paint often found on plane's wings. I'll also argue that the location of the hoarfrost in these pics is where ice has little to no impact on wing lift - on the aileron and trailing portion of the wing. In fact, looking at the photo it is obvious the airflow is disrupted by the sudden 90deg blunt wing trailing edge just before the aileron leading edge. The hoarfrost would have disappeared instantly as soon as the airspeed started to increase. The slight roughness of the frost in your pics actually could be beneficial as it creates turbulent flow and keeps the air attached to the aileron surface such as turbulators and VG's do.

Your actions were completely unfounded. The plane was likely safe and arguably legal as hoarfrost does not adhere to a surface hence no "frozen contaminant adhering to a critical surface". You reacted with no knowledge of aerodynamics and no experience with flying with ice. Your actions were based on ignorant, emotional reasons. I hope that someone like you is watching you at all times with the "FSDO number on speed dial". I see that you are ATC. I can't count all the times ATC has given me unsafe instructions but I'm not on the phone rat'ing them out.

Please leave the industry. It is illogical, non-critical thinking idiots like you who are ruining aviation.
References? Where are you finding this definition of frost and that it doesn't adhere?