View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 PM
showboats
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: SWA Poolie
Default Here's my answer...

Argument one is correct. If Cat III gets you down to 0/0 (not sure about that one since I'm a 135 guy...currently)

I'm not currently a 121 guy but I just read about this in "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot" by Richie Lengel so that is reference.

On page 259 in reference to IFR Takeoff Mins it states that FAR 121.617 requires a takeoff alternate if weather below IFR landing mins at departure airport. It goes on to break it down into aircraft with two engines or aircraft with two or more engines....'nuff said.

Next to that paragraph is a note stating, and I quote "The flight plan (or flight release) must specify a takeoff alternate if the weather at the airport is below landing minimums for the airport. Any landing minimums at the takeoff airport that are authorized for the certificate holder may be considered including Category II or III ILS approaches"

Although the paragraph does not directly reference any source document for that statement, at the top of the page he lists all the FAR's and OpSpecs that were consulted prior to printing that page. The list reads like this:

[91.175(f), 91.1039, 121.617, 121.619, 121.625, 121.651, 135.217, OpSpec C057 & C058 or C079]

Possibly in one of the above regs you might find the "legal" answer you are looking for....who knows?

*Disclaimer*

I do not have the latest revision to this book so the interpretation or regulation may have changed since my book was printed.

And yes...I have entirely too much time on my hands to be responding to this on a Saturday night. Got tired of studying for my checkride!

Last edited by showboats; 02-02-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added info