View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 07:40 AM
MoosePileit
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: The IPA EB speaks for me

Googled, as I've never seen an ILS w/ higher HAT than the no G/S. A 3.27 degree Glideslope would fix the problem if the trees and antennas don't grow or change- then it would be I assume a 200' HAT for the DA.

REPORTS:
ILS/Bowerman Field Update
Kurt Atticott & Reinhardt Jung of Reid Middleton, outlined the Instrument Landing System (ILS) obstruction matter from the initial notice by the FAA describing obstructions on Beacon Hill protruding into the 34:1 approach slope of Runway 24, through aerial photogrammetry undertaken to identify specific problem trees and antennas, to development of a scope of work necessary to remove or mitigate the obstructions from the approach surfaces. Obstacles were identified as:
• Trees that are protruding the glideslope are located on three different property ownerships
• Two antennas located around the City’s water tower are too tall.
• Two additional inner-approach obstructions have been identified at the airport and will be taken care of by the Port.

Mr. Atticott reported the various options to mitigate obstructions and approach procedure:
• In order to restore a 3° glide path on a 34:1 approach slope and have the FAA update approach procedures accordingly, the Port would need to work with property owners to clear the obstructions.
• Another option involves permanently raising the glide slope angle to 3.27° in order to clear all existing Beacon Hill obstructions.

Other options that have been explored, but not considered viable by the FAA are:
• Changing the ILS operations or adding a new ILS to Runway 06.
• A curved or offset approach to Runway 24.
• Eliminate the ILS at Bowerman Field.

Commissioners requested staff to send a letter to the FAA requesting the establishment of an LPV approach to Runway 06 at Bowerman Field.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us