Thread: Nov 9th class
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM
FTv3
Social Media retired.

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
The company is profitable, tempo has gotten busier due to COVID, we overwhelmingly ratified a contract extension this past winter and there’s plenty of hay to be made in these times...as we all have friends staring down a furlough at the Big Three.

We’re pilots, complaining is what we do and we all wish there was even more hiring and training capacity and more Ochos and better catering/hotels and fewer denied trip trades and more reserve coverage and fewer reschedules and _______....but keeping perspective is important.
Not sure I’m following. Your job security and seniority list progression arguments are spot on and I don’t recall anyone disagreeing, C2078 included. All he said was that our employer creates an unpleasant work environment/culture enough so that he second guesses if coming here was the right decision for him. You guys are the ones saying he is complaining about trivial items. A re-read of this thread will show you this is something he has not actually done. You guys are, crazy enough as it is, complaing that he is complaining. Same thing with the attacks on his ‘daily battle’ comment. I don’t think it was that hard to get the point he was trying to make. You guys forgetting that we have something like 50x plus the number of filed grievances as our peers? All the different ways the company is ignoring/subverting the contract on a daily basis? Cake story, whatever. How about the story of the 109? The part where the company ditched them in ANC is particularly telling of how ‘GREAT’ these people are. I think some of you are forgetting or repressing the reality of who we work for. I did post on here a few years ago that it seems UPS was improving in this regard. Nah, they are the same as they ever were. Even guys like Boiler suggest going home and forgetting all about Brown on your days off as a strategy for a positive work experience (“...forget about brown polyester”). Must be an awesome place to work having to avoid it unless necessary, not think about it when away in order to be content...? I agree with C2078 but yes, keeping it in perspective, this is all a single bullet point on a much larger decision matrix. Doesn’t mean that guys facing a furlough should disregard it because they are looking for another job.

Which brings me to the next topic. UPS isn’t going to be a realistic option for most on furlough. First, we hire less than 300 people per year. Second, UPS hires people that want to be at UPS (ie. their top choice airline). Third, UPS diversifies their hiring so they’ll continue to take people from all avenues.

Last edited by FTv3; 09-24-2020 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added quote