View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
I think you misread the intention. It means what I said, no more and no less. It does not instruct anyone to turn down any offer. But as noted above, junior people in their first couple years at a major ONCE THEY’VE MADE IT THERE frequently have offers from other majors. They are in fact fairly mobile at that point, up until they have accrued enough seniority to be invested in that particular airline.

My intention was to suggest that people pay attention - now that various business models are under stress - to see what happens with the various majors. Because, yeah, a lot of guys at the legacies are probably now wishing they’d taken that offer from SWA right now

With all that said... for most people, in the long run/grand scheme, it's better to be furloughed from a major than employed by a regional. Obvious exceptions for those over 50, GED and no other skills, stay-at-home spouse w/kids, etc.

It's hard enough as it is to move up, without trying to guesstimate if the economy/industry will hold up for 3-4 years after your class date.

I frankly wouldn't trade my somewhat junior number for the job security of my old regional gig.