View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 01:57 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Gordie H View Post
I haven't read of any planned "mandates"? It's always been phrased something like these groups will be "offered" it first. On a related note our CEO (B6) explicitly said no employ would be required to get it.
It will be mandatory for health-care workers, and I suspect other first-responder types. Vaccines are often mandatory in schools, day care, kids camps, etc.

Typically, a vaccine is more for YOUR protection. But in some cases, and covid is one those, vaccination is as much for the protection of others. Since the emphasis will be on protecting others, I think we'll see vaccination mandated for many people who have contact with the general public, if for no other reason than employer liability, although that depends on how the fed (or maybe some states) ultimately treats legal liability WRT covid. The ambulance chasers of course want presumptive fault for any and all covid infections, and that would usher in vaccination mandates like you've never before imagined.

At least one US airline already has a vaccine mandate as a condition of employment so I don't think there's any legal showstoppers for that. Although in that one case, you need the vaccination to get hired in the first place, so it may be different to apply that to current employees.

Some pilots may get off the hook since they don't do much customer interaction (or at least they don't really have to), but anyone who flies international (including Hawaii) is probably going to need it to clear customs. Even if they don't make their own citizens get a vaccine, most foriegn governments will almost certainly require inbound aliens to have one.

Maybe if you don't want to get vaccinated, they'll let you flow back to their regional so you can stick with (mostly) domestic flying.

This article explains it in some detail...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ork-cvd/#close