Old 09-27-2020, 06:36 PM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by kronan View Post
Having the hurdle rate allows the Trust to continue to gain in value without passing that value on to US. It acts as a stabilizing source for down years.....
Thanks for your detailed response. But, I'm still uncertain I understand. How does the "hurdle rate: allow the Trust to continue to gain in value without passing that value on to us? How is it a stabilizing source in down years?

Your example states our pancakes "grow" when ROI > Hurdle Rate. But, isn't that "passing the value on to us"?

If we negotiate (agree) to a Hurdle Rate that ends up being too high, and ROI < Hurdle Rate, how will the guaranteed 2% floor be maintained?

Won't the company have to add additional funds, above the agreed upon percentage of earnings?

Isn't this precisely what the company wants to avoid?

I fully understand why pilots voiced concerned about having a Variable Benefit Plan, so the Union added the word Stablized - I'm still don't understand the mechanism for this stabilization/floor. If the hurdle is set too high, and ROI doesn't perform, the money has to come from somewhere. The company?? Isn't this what we already have with our current A Plan?

(Note: Yes, I admit current A Fund has earnings cap and YOS cap, and the VBP or PSPP seeks to remove those)

I guess, I just don't see the company agreeing to this "floor", especially if we are asking to raise the earnings cap & allow no CAP on YOS.

Of course, the company will clearly see the benefit of us giving up the "High 5" FAE calculation....and enticing guys to upgrade at 100% and max fly every year,. Like PBS, they want to have guys work harder & harder, so they can minimize the size of the crew force.

In Unity,
DLax