View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 10:02 AM
FXLAX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by Noworkallplay View Post
You quoted my response that was to Fastburner.

Senior WB FO currently makes more than Reserve Jr NB Capt. Thats fact. They bid carryovers. They sell vacation. They do draft. Its what happens in reality. Also the line values vary from top to bottom. Others make more in the FO seat by bidding an FDA like HKG who has FO’s making well north of 400k.

Those who want seniority arent going to bid Capt sooner for a marginal pay bump to go from senior FO to commuter reserve NB or Jr WB capt. Thats just reality. If you would like a good example of this just look at the majors they only have a DC plan. Those guys retirement is purely based on income and they don’t have a different mix then we do when it comes to bidding upgrade. UA DL and AA retirement is purely income based and they still have the same mix of guys bidding qual and some chasing money. I was at one of them so I saw it in real time.

This argument is no different than those that say this will incentives people to stay longer when the union published the average retirement age was over 64 last year

Like I said before to you without a reply (which is why I randomly replied to your fast burner post), you don’t provide any data to back up any of your assertions. On the contrary, I gave you factual data to argue the opposite.

But regardless, the PSPP wouldn’t be an on/off switch of people automatically changing their bidding strategy. Our the way we earn our total compensation (including retirement) is a spectrum on how people behave. In other words, when you change the way we get paid, it incrementally the way people behave. If you change the pay in a major way, it changes behavior in a major way. If you change it in a minor way, it only changes behavior in a minor way. It’s nonsensical to think that if you change the way we earn our retirement, it will not change any bidding behavior. Your retirement age example provides my point. The regulated age changed and then we had some people keep working past 60. Why? Because when you give people an opportunity to make more, some will.

Now, can you comment on my second point from my original post to you?