View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 11:59 AM
blinkpilot182
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: B767 - Captain
Default Atlas / Southern

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit99 View Post
Great update. As one of the guys swimming in that pool, I allow myself to ask two questions to our educated audience:

1. As I understand, Atlas is not buying new airplanes nor having a lot of retirees or pilots leaving to other places. So, what is the explanation of having so many new classes?

2. One of the options they gave me was going on the 737 and then upgrade at 1,000 hours. Question: With the integration of Southern/Atlas, will that "quick upgrade" somehow be protected/fenced, or is it possible that the senorities merge and suddenly there are many "Atlas guys" eligible for the 737 transition with upgrade, pushing Southern 737 FOs way back?

Any feedback is highly appreciated : )

Great questions.

1. I understand we do have a handful of “new-to-us” 74’s coming on the line. If that’s true then there’s some growth. Also logic stands to reason we will at least grow the 777 fleet. Atlas has seemed to want a solid triple program for a while. That’s speculation, but it’s pretty good speculation.

2. Fences are a hot topic here right now. The short answer is no one knows. The long answer is, pre-acquisition CA’s at Atlas have junior CA’s to them at Southern on both of Southerns fleets. So I’m not sure what there is to fence. If anything fence the 74 which some pilots at Atlas hired pre-acquisition still can’t hold as CA’s. I don’t mean any disrespect to my Southern brothers and sisters. I’m just trying to call my putt, and I suck at golf.

I know your question is about the 737 but I referenced the most senior airplanes. Also, I can’t imagine a lot of heavy pilots willingly going to a narrow body unless they live in base. I’m not trying to put down the 737, it’s a fantastic jet. I’m just speaking to company culture. We love our big planes at Atlas.

Again, no disrespect to any pilot group.

Cheers,
blink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by blinkpilot182; 09-28-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Content