Thread: B fund status
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 06:26 AM
NotMrNiceGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

I’m not at UAL. But I am a millennial and I’m junior at my airline (hired in 2017). From the time that I got on, I’ve been busting my @$$ to save money for a recession or negotiations because I knew the game. If there isn’t flying for me, the world doesn’t owe me a thing. No hard feelings. That’s life.

The incredible thing to me is the “senior” bubbas that are funding this whole scheme. Look, Senior does not mean wealthy. It just means they were hired first.

I remember reading a thread a couple years ago about pilot compensation at the legacies. Everyone assumed all pilots make bank. Then a UAL guy hired in 2000 tells his story. Between 2000 and 2010 he averaged $19,200. If this same person averaged $175,000 from 2010 through 2020, that’s an average pay of less than $107,000 for the past 20 years. Not exactly high rolling.

Imagine this guy has three kids that were born around when he got hired. They’re probably just starting college and he’s only had ten years to save. And now I’m gonna ask him to cover his kids’ college, mortgage, retirement, and my monthly paycheck for flying that literally doesn’t exist? I’m gonna ask him to take another financial hit on top of the two furloughs already so that I don’t have to do what he did?

I’m sorry. I just don’t get it.