View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 07:23 PM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display

Purple:

Thanks! I thought I had seen pics of the Italian airplane with a Boomer pod, and thought the 46 was the first “virtual” boomer. Mea culpa.

I read about the buffeting problem in Aviation Week a LONG time ago. I think it was wing buffet, but not sure...might have been the boom itself. It was around the same time Boeing was having wing buffet on the 747-8. I remember thinking “How can a mature design, with today’s computer modeling, have a buffet problem?”

When I said “design decision,” I meant the Air Force decided they wanted it that way.

I read an article 20 years ago that said the great RIF of the early 90s got rid of all the acquisitions/Logistics guys. As such, when major contracts came up a few years/decades later..no one knew how to write them so the government wouldn’t get screwed...all the experience was gone.

Example: allegedly, the KC-46 originally (on paper) didn’t have an ILS or VOR in it...just a TACAN. The contract was written to have a TACAN....the intent was to ADD it. The Loggies assumed it would have a standard complement of civilian B767 instruments.

Boeing took the approach of “not specified, you get nothing. Want those instruments? More money.”

Again, long time ago, so I can’t verify it...but seems plausible.