Old 10-13-2020, 01:05 PM
Gone Flying
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: UNA

Originally Posted by velosnow View Post
I'm actually from small town Midwest as it were and while generally conservative it was quite a union friendly place. So I understand that side of it as well, though our neighbors and co-workers saw the value in unions. So the small town argument just quite won't work on its own.

And it isn't governments chasing businesses out of town, it's the unpleasant side of capitalism at work pleasing the shareholders at their own employee's expense. Regulations and taxes are a part of life as are worker's rights, making profits and running a successful business. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
I think there are plenty of things a state can do to make it undesirable to do business somewhere. High taxes, building restrictions and over regulation of businesses, not providing policing of areas near where a business operates (higher crime especially around the business front itself)

while I agree Boeing probably made the move because of their detest for unions, there are plenty of things states can do to make doing business there undesirable.

just to clarify, What Boeing is doing is classic union busting so they can save money for stock buybacks and dealing with their MAX fiasco (also caused by shady business practices). But states can absolutely drive business away