View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 10:35 AM
ChinookDriver47
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left and Right of Whatever

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
You would lose in court if the school is in fact using an approved syllabus as others have stated and you deviated from the SOP no matter what you think might be safer. If you want to teach your own way - become a freelance instructor, until then - fly the school’s planes, teach the school’s students the way that they are paying you to fly and teach. Along those paths, if you think you have a better way of doing business, present it, let it go through the process, get yourself into a position where you have more influence or decision making power and enact changes.

A syllabus is AFM/POH agnostic. Of course I teach the syllabus. However, after further conversing the SOP is conflict with the approved checklist.

So, which do you ignore? The SOP, which says approach and landing clean, or the checklist which says Flaps-Set, and Airspeed 65-70 knots?

The way I see it, one either changes the SOP, or changes the checklist. If I am Joe-pilot, I go with configuring the aircraft based on what's on the checklist.