View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by senecacaptain View Post
drops in death rates is excellent news, for nobody wants people to die.
and yet ultimately, every single person will.

with that said, it is more complex than "COVID did/did not kill me."
Yet clearly, the ‘not kill’ option is preferable, n’est-ce-pas?

14 day quarantines,
This is an interesting pandemic. Generally we have never before quarantined the WELL people, just the sick ones.

patients who infect others,
Not unlike most infectious diseases...

productivity hits, etc all impact the economy and impact society. fear cripples society, people don't want to get sick, period.
The wussification of the culture.
I blame it on the elementary schools for outlawing dodgeball.

people sitting in hospital beds (but not "dead") do not travel, do not go to the office, are not at the factory assembling widgets. they do not spend either.
So, just out of interest, what percentage of the population do you believe are - at any given time - hospitalized? With 330 million people and only 924,000 hospital beds (according to the AHA https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospitals ) that would be less than a third of a percent of the US population, and that’s from ALL causes. I’m not sure you could pick a third of a percent out of the background noise.

death rates is just one metric of the problem.
But hardly a trivial one.

The reality is that we are in a rebound despite the higher numbers of cases and three or four months before there is an approved vaccine and probably a year and a half before we can get enough of it distributed to even approach herd immunity. Nobody can stay scared forever. Like in combat, you eventually compartmentalize your fear and move on.

Last edited by Excargodog; 10-20-2020 at 03:25 PM.