View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 09:44 AM
paulcg77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by Av8tr1 View Post
I’ve been trying to get my sister an account and they won’t approve it so it’s apparently not “everybody”

but yeah, I’ve been with them for 2 decades and it’s gotten worse lately. Definitely the most expensive out there AND I’ll say the same about Geico. my motorcycle insurance nearly tripled for my two bikes when I moved. Went from $300 a year for both to nearly $900.
I've been a member since 2000 so I'm right there with you about the service going downhill. Weird about your sister because I've got another non-mil pilot friend who just got a mortgage with them because his grandfather served in Korea. Navy Fed also has expanded the membership to "family" of anyone who has served. Under the rules USAA and Navy Fed now use, basically anyone who can trace any remote ancestry to anyone who served, even if it was a distant relative who was drafted and was medically discharged in basic training, they're entitled to membership and it passes down through subsequent generations without any additional service requirements. I guess this is the PC wave of the future. I expect the VFW and and legion will eventually do this too.

It fits with an overall pattern. The DOD is about to open up full exchange privileges to civilian employees with no military service, and there's talk this will also eventually include commissary privileges. Civilian employees already have access to most active/reserve/retired MWR benefits including Air Force Inns/NGIS/Navy Lodge. I expect eventually at this rate, retired DOD civilian employees will get access to VA healthcare benefits too, because why not, the VA is being privatized and everything else that was previously military-only is being opened up to them. This is the future.