View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Joeshmoe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 170 babysitter

Originally Posted by N6724G View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent cbire,

But You have to understand what racism means. its deosn't neccessarily mean one race hating or discriminating another race. There is unconcious racism. Thats means people natuarlly act one way towrd one race and another way towad another race. I agree that most people in this country are not racist on purpose, but let me give you an example from this board of what I am talking about.

Have you guys read the thrads about people going to work for ASA or Delta and they go to Atlanta to train. What are the comments they make about living in Atlanta? I have read things on this board like "be careful around ASA's GO" or "you dont want to live near the airport. you may get mugged" now lets be honest. We all know that the area around KATL is a majority low income majority black area. People can get mugged there. But guess what? People can get mugged in Roswell, Sandy Springs and other suburban areas as well. But you dont read comments about staying away from the suburbs.

Thats an example of racism. I dont think the poster has anythiong against black people. Its a lot more complex that that. There are stereotypes that are at work here. Its an assumption that in the poor black areas you will get mugged. But that same assumption is not there for the subrubian white areas.

Heres another example. Two guys a black guy and a white guy go in for a job interview. The interviewer is a senior Captain ERAU grad. The white applicant graduted from UND. they get to talking, they have a great repore with each other, they both like the same type of music and have had similar backgrounds. The black applicant goes in. he graduated from SC State Univ. The interviewer never heard of that college. They have nothing in common except flight time which all applicants have., so it becomes the standard formal interview. Who do you think will get the job?

A lot of times,its not about the qualifications. Its about the interaction between the interviewer and the interviewe.

I know thats kind of down and dirty but I hope the intelligent folks on here can kind of see what I am getting at.

I'm not trying to start a race discussion. I just wanted to take the opportunity to expound on a very interesting subject. I love all Americans. I find race a very interesting subject. One day I am going to write a book on it. Anyway. take care.
I think your example of the two guys in for a job interview is a tad skewed. Lets take the same exact scenario with two white guys, same guy who graduated from the same school as said interviewer, likes same music etc... The other candidate doesn't have a chance either, black or white. To say its because the guy was black is a wrong assumption. No matter what the color of your skin, if you go up against a candidate that strikes that kind of report with an interviewer, its called nepotism, not racism.
As far as the low income area's having a higher incidence of muggings, there are plenty of low income white areas where muggings are just as prevalent. Again, to say its strictly a black thing is skewed.
I agree, no need for a major race debate on here.